The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2014-01-16

That Thrift Store Find... Louboutin Pumps

lou1

So... I thrifted a pair of Christian Louboutins. The Decollete to be exact, in patent leather, size 37.5 and in excellent condition.
Of all the treasures I dig for in a thrift store, I never, ever expected to run across an authentic pair of CL. When I found them (at a Value Village in Brantford... there, you have my secrets...), I actually laughed at first. I have seen my fair share of designer fakes in the thrift store; ripped faux Louis Vuitton bags marked up to ridiculous prices, a pair of the most plastic Tod's in the showcase of my local haunt and best of all, a fake Chanel bag for $250 proudly posted on a thrift store's Instagram. So I laughed when I grabbed the shoes because there was no way they could be real...
And then I stopped laughing because they looked really, really well made.
I am not an expert a spotting counterfeit, I learn details from the Google machine but I do know that these kinds of designer items better be impeccably constructed. That while counterfeits can have red soles and stamped labels, they have a hard time getting the technical details of construction just right. So being that they were well-made, I did a quick Google search and found that authenticLouboutins have leather soles, while many fakes have vinyl soles. From the wear on the soles, I could see that they were indeed leather. I took a chance and nestled (gently, with care...) them in my buggy. At this point, I was about 53% sure they were real but with 50% off day for Club Card members, I figured they were worth the $12.50 chance.
That night I fell into the Internet hole of researching Louboutins. The more I scrolled through pictures of reals vs. fakes and read up on how each shoe is individually hand crafted, the more certain I got that they were real.
Sidenote: this collecting Louboutin shoes world is this whole sub-culture I had no idea about. Hundreds of pages of forums dedicated to these shoes and discussing every detail about them. Whoa. Mind-blown. 


lou2

I went to bed about 97% sure they were the real deal. The next day, I posted clear pictures of them on a reputable authentication forum and they were confirmed to be authentic. Mostly I just wanted to yell 'I knew it!' because gloating is my finest skill...

I don't think these are my most interesting thrift find or even my most valuable but they are probably my best thrift story to date. I expect vintage treasures or less-known designer pieces to slip by the sorting process at the thrift store, I just never expected flashy red soles to actually get donated and then priced very reasonably as well. I understand how some designer pieces get donated because they might just be too random to be worth the effort for an individual to resell them but used, very worn CL still get good money on Ebay.

Who donated these? Can I peek in your closet?

As much as I want to keep them as the ultimate thrift trophy, they don't even come close to fitting me, so I will be selling them.

SOLD _That was quick, thanks for your responses!!! Now to find more;)

Ha! Still can't believe I found these beauties at a thrift store...

More pictures when you click through.




lou3
lou4
lou5

(Great condition. Only wear is a bit of scuffing on the soles and a wobble in the leather by the big toe of the left foot. You can see it a bit in the very top pic. Not noticeable when on, just thought I would point it out:))

37 comments :

heidikins said...

Swoon! I SO WISH these were in my size!!!

xox

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....curious, why not sell them at The Edit?

SincerelyMissJ said...

Oh no, you did not!!! Jumping up and down in Brantford too! You go girl, score of the year!

http://sincerelymissj.blogspot.ca/

jentine said...

anon- If they don't sell off the blog, they will be in the front window of The Edit for the Valentine's Day window:) Just thought it would be fun to offer them up for the internet audience...

Nikki | The Ginger Diaries said...

Crazy! You were very lucky :) I hope they find a good new home :-) I have a size 39-39.5 so they won't fit me either :) xo

Caramel Latte Kiss said...

I'm in the UK. No chance you'd be willing to strike a deal to ship them over?
If so, I'd be interested. Price dependent, of course!

What a find though, you lucky lady!

sis said...

curse my tall-girl, tall-girl foot size problem!

Jeannie Marie said...

Congrats! I love a good score and thank goodness they are not your size! How conflicted you might have felt if they had been your size!

Suzanne said...

Wow! What a score. Jealous.

bisous
Suzanne

Lauren said...

I'm dead at this steal! Can't believe you found them at VV. INSANE deal.

Nout said...

so jelly!

Mimsie said...

I honestly can't believe someone donated them to VV.

Dana said...

SO jealous -those have been on my wishlist for years. i wish i could find a thrift store version (so I dont have to pay full price someday)!

www.thecasualclassic.com

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Wow! Like Wow! Every so often I find something, something really really good, and I grab it, and always...without fail...I look around me furtively as I put it in my cart. It's really kind of funny; that feeling that someone might clue in and take it from me. So happy it was you that got the goods this time!

Ashley Blom said...

I want to see these SO BADLY but my computer won't show me the pics. Oh well. GREAT find and congrats!

Melissa said...

Amazing! And I bet they were half the price than the Club Couture shoes from Sirens that seem to dominate the shoe racks at the thrift.

Sheila said...

That is a great thrift story! I'm amazed at what people will donate - I once found a REAL Prada blouse (like you, I researched the hell out of it) at the local Victoria VV for $3.99. Great score!

Jessie Mac said...

This is crazy! I'm so jealous lol! Brantford is my hometown. Good find!

www.educatedstyle.blogspot.com

Thriftanista in the City said...

Very nice! Awesome find!

Carolina said...

It's weird but I've been lucky to find all kinds of high end designer stuff at my local thrift stores, from Louboutin shoes, Gucci belt, Yves Saint Laurent skirt, and so on and so on. The most I've paid so far has been $10 per item. You just never know what folks are willing to let go! Thank you universe!

Amanda @ Life with A.Co said...

Thrilling story, Yen! What a find!!

Nastassja said...

Insane!
What's your price? Ha! I'm a 38 but I'd squeeze into these!
www.mrsrogero.com

Daisy said...

$12.50?? Holy cow!!!

Sweet Laundry said...

A couple of years ago I came across an authentic pair of CL espadrille ballet flats at a consignment store in New York. I tried those shoes on for a good hour, but they just didn't fit right. I thought about buying them anyway to keep as a souvenir, but I ended up walking away from them. I have regretted that decision every day since. You are too kind to have sold them, because if it was me, I would have kept them!

Unknown said...

That is the best thrift find ever - I just wonder why those people donated those beauties! Also, you have a lot of self-control, I don't think I would be able to sell them, even they didn't fit me; they are just so beautiful!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Latest Trend Fashion said...

Very nice! Awesome find!it is really amazing!

Anonymous said...

i scored 2 authentic burberry shoes and one fendi bag at the thrift store here in nb.

Jessica Broyles said...

Wow, what great find! I just started thrift shopping and so far have been blown away by the quality and condition of some pieces. I'm excited to find more.

www.highheelstosneakers.com

Anonymous said...

Definitely a stellar find! Ive found my best high-end designer pieces in the Annecy, France thrift shop (all wonderful French labels, natch): Lanvin, Lancel, Thierry Mugler, and Weiss. Also: A Bally Kelly-style bag, and my latest and greatest: a vintage Mulberry satchel (for 10 euros! Crazy!).

Shelly said...

I am crying inside that I missed out on this!

Unknown said...

Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
Skype : Jobz.Corner

Unknown said...

www0712
nike presto
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
true religion uk
canada goose jackets
nike factory outlet
true religion jeans
canada goose jackets
ugg outlet







Unknown said...

www11.17




nike tn
red bottom shoes
ugg boots
prada handbags
canada goose outlet
ugg outlet boots
kate spade outlet

coach outlet
adidas clothing

yanmaneee said...

yeezy shoes
balenciaga
off white clothing
yeezy 500
balenciaga shoes
jordan shoes
yeezy boost 350 v2
kyrie irving shoes
jordan shoes
off white

yanmaneee said...

jordan retro
yeezy shoes
converse shoes
nike air max 270
goyard
nike air max
yeezy boost 350 v2
supreme clothing
longchamp handbags
off white

roowet said...

why not try these out he has a good point have a peek at this site go right here visit site wikipedia reference

Anonymous said...

paul george
off white clothing
yeezy shoes
supreme hoodie
off white
yeezy wave runner 700
off white shoes
goyard bags
Golden Goose Deluxe Brand
bape