The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2013-08-28

Little Ridiculous

thrift1

I'm working on a thrift wardrobe make-over for my friend's husband. He wants to look less dad and more stud (my words but that is the idea...). I hit up the Value Village 50% off sales to get a start on that wardrobe overhaul and I was humbled to find out that thrifting for men is a little (a lot) trickier than thrifting for women. Especially when the person who you are shopping for has a modelesque physique; he's tall and skinny. I did find a cool vintage plaid shirt and some snappy Kenneth Cole shoes but this thrift overhaul will probably take a little more effort.
As my success in the men's section was fairly weak, I wandered over into the ladies'section to turn my shopping around. And turn around it did... Especially in the form of this $5 Canadian made Irving Samuel jacket... You can tell from the animal print, the leather trim (yes, that's leather!) and the gold hardware that this was a pure 'notice me' jacket from the 80's. A twist on the ever popular Chanel bouclé jacket...

I always wonder who originally owned the crazy pieces I find at the thrift store. This person undoubtedly appreciated quality and a little bit of the ridiculous. Pretty sure we could be BFFs...

thrift2

And how will I wear this lovely piece of thrift? With ripped denim, of course... How else?

9 comments :

MisisD said...

Ridiculously gorgeous jacket!

Jane {torontoShopoholic} said...

That jacket is amazing. You make me want to do a thrift overhaul of my wardrobe! I never seem to do that well in the Tdot...

Naomi said...

Definitely with ripped denim!

The Occasional Indulgence

Melissa said...

Amazing!!
Next day without the kiddies I'm going thrifting in Hamilton.

lisahannam said...

I want to see the before and after of your makeover. Love it!

abby said...

$5 -- that's a steal! I actually really love it.
xx abby | a geek tragedy

Anna said...

Manthrift is hard if you are going for everyday clothes. Sometimes my bf will find a tshirt or some vintage swim trunks but little else. Keep us updated on your progress. PS. Love the jacket!

DressUpNotDown said...

Guys wear their clothes to DEATH, threadbare, falling off of them death. I think that's what makes men's thrifting so hard.

The print on your new jacket hits me as somewhere between zebra and ikat and woodgrain. So cool!

www.dressuptnotdown.blogspot.com

Jessica Cobb said...

Love! Can't wait to see how you style it!