The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-05-20

Long Haul

I've wanted to do a video from one of my thrifting episodes (I guess kinda like a haul video, have you seen those? Craziness...). Then my readers could hear that I talk as flippantly as I write (except for about serious topics like government proroguing and body hair removal) and I would finally have a chance to put Matt and I's Dutch accent imitations up against each other in a vote. But life is too busy right now to figure all that video technology out and then I had a particularly fantastic thrift experience, so I thought I would just share what a 'Jentine haul' is all about. I know, pictures are not as fun as a video, kinda like using a walkman when your friends all have ipods.... but the end result is the same; sweet Mariah Carey melodies in your ears.
It was 50% off day at Value Village on Monday but I didn't feel like dealing with the crowds and since I had some errands to run near Talize (less guilt because time is precious), I went there instead. Glad I did. Yes maam...check it out.

haul1 Yeah... so not only do I feel guilty about wasting any time these days, I also feel guilty for finding so much good stuff for myself. Hence, if I find something for a friend, I buy it. The little jumper was $5 and is for a friend's baby... it has really random animals embroidered on it. Kinda wierd but at least no other child is going to have the same outfit. Because that would be like prom; only worse.
The new Ralph Lauren flats were $17...ouch! But my friend needs flats like I need sleep.

haul6 Leather clutch? Nice colour, pretty big, not bad at $4.99.
The flouncy blouse I'm undecided on. I love the eyelet but I'm not sure of the big sleeves. It was $4.99 but with 50% off, it was worth the risk. We shall see...

haul5 I got the Laundry dress on the left for $5 (it was 50% off). It's cute but not really my style. So... I will clean it and consign it. Thrifting is the gift that keeps giving.
The wool dress was $5 too (another 50% dealio). It fits like a glove, a very snug glove with no room for cookies.

haul2 I've been searching for a pair of vintage flares like Brianne's. But if I can't have vintage, I guess will settle for some next to new Hudson's for 50% off at $6.50.

haul3 Not 100% sure about all the polyester fantasticness either... but then I imagined it short with some nude heels... I did a quick cut on it and now it looks a little short on the back. Why does that always happen? We shall see if the $4 (blah, blah...50% off) I paid for it turns out to be a waste...

haul4 Oh yes... the best for last. I saw this and I thought it was very pretty. Then I touched it and it felt like quality. And then... I looked at the tag. Marchesa notte. For $10!!!!!! Silk lined with bound seams... How do I get so lucky? So many dresses so little time.
The best part is that every item that wasn't 50% off, I got 10% off from my student card and I also used a $5 off coupon that they give out whenever you donate something. I think the cost of my evening courses has been offset by the discounts I get from Talize... something that makes me feel pathetic yet proud. Such combating emotions run through me...

25 comments :

Kendi Lea said...

Because of this post, I'm proud to call you my e-friend.

Seriously though, how do you get so lucky??

Celine said...

Damn that is a great haul. I really love those last 2 dresses.

Melissa said...

Talize is AMAZING! I've found authentic Louis Vuitton and Celine bags at my local one.
Love the Laundry dress!

Eleanor-Shopping The Closet said...

Your haul has made me the nicest shade of army green with envy.

Secondhand Stella said...

So much goodness. That last dress is amazing!!!! Love the jeans and the wool dress as well. I also like the white eyelet blouse... I think it will look cute on you.

I wonder what would happen if we combined our thrifting powers? Do you think they would cancel each other out or would be like super man and batman fighting crime together or something like that?

Keira Lennox said...

Now that's a haul if I've ever seen one! There's a thrift store right across the block from the shop I work in, and I was being pulled towards it this morning. Now it's official... lunch break thrifting is on.

kimmy said...

omg, that black dress is amazing. i never had that good of luck!

Kasmira said...

Lovely haul! I really like the purplish dress. How fun!

Anonymous said...

That is a SERIOUSLY enviable haul. The wool dress is my fave.

e said...

What a fun post! Thanks for sharing. Personally I like pics more than video. For some reason I feel intrusive listening to people talk that I don't know, like I'm stalking them. Thru a video that they posted. On their website that I visit. See? Stalkerish.

Ok - maybe not. Rambling over. : )

Sabrina said...

super amazing haul! I can't believe that last dress. It is SUPER FANTASTIC, BEAUTIFUL, the perfect dress.

Teri said...

Thank you for this post. I always wonder when bloggers talk about their great thrifting finds just what "great" is because no one lists the prices! Now I know what great finds really are!

Jenni King said...

what amazing things you picked up!

FutureLint said...

Awesome haul! I especially love the "no room for cookies" dress and the jeans - finding a good fitting wide leg flare is so hard!

Linda said...

Wow Marchesa! Cool.

KellyAnn said...

That aubergine 70s style dress looks AMAZING shortened. I agree, nude heels would be perfect! You simply must post what it looks like put together. great finds!

Emily Kennedy said...

Man, that is some seriously great stuff! I can't wait to see how you style the stuff that you're keeping!

Alex said...

Wow, the Marchesa dress is stunning! I love the pinstripe on the jeans as well, so pretty.

Christen said...

I am pretty much DYING over all of these amazing pieces. That Marchesa for $10??? You are my hero.

ChereeB said...

Wow, that Marchesa dress is an amazing find.

Lou said...

What a haul! We don’t have a single vintage or second hand store here in Doha. I’m off to Sydney and London in the summer and just dying (really, I’m honestly dying) to start rummaging.

Dorky Medievalist said...

Wow. You are kind of my hero. And I made up an award to give you for your heroism. You receive nothing for the dubious honour. Oh, except a MARCHESA dress. Nicely done, Steeltown, nicely done.

eek said...

What an incredible haul! Green eyes here!

GS said...

sweet mother of pearl. you really out did yourself here. I'm in love with this post. Thank you soooo much for doing this! Or should I say, dankjewel?! I'm in your motherland currently. Thinking of immigrating here. Serioulsy it's gorgeous, but you already know that. I'm taking a bike and a block of cheese to a park and handcuffing myself to a tree and not leaving.

Nadine said...

Y'know, I'm not the hugest fan of internet video. Firstly, it takes longer than reading. Secondly, my family (who are ALL BOYS) might notice that I'm doing something completely unrelated to them at 7.30 on a school morning. Thirdly, some of my very favourite best-loved writers generate pretty average video posts - but not all of them, thank goodness! Props, Lady Smaggle! However, I am curious to hear the Dutch accent and any diva-esque singing you may want to bust out, since if you're not name-checking Celine, you're name-checking Mariah . . .

Love the purple dress best.