The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2009-11-10

The Trials and Temptations of...

shopping ban


Are you proud of me?

I'm halfway into my shopping challenge and I'm still going strong. Two and a half weeks ago I vowed not to shop until December 1st because... well, quite frankly, I needed to stop buying clothes. I'm sure I've gone for 2.5 weeks before but this time it was harder because I made a conscientious decision not to shop. I feel a bit weirded out by myself and how hard it's been. Am I normal? These have been my three biggest trials (I am dramatic...)...

Trial #1. I woke up the first Saturday of the no-shopping period and decided I needed new underwear. I'm sure in the official laws of shopping bans, underwear are an exempted but I immediately recognized the signs of temptation... I did not need new underwear. I just wanted to go to Winners, pick up some undies, accidentally walk through the shoe section and end up with some great boots on my feet. Then I would convince myself that shoes are exempted from shopping bans as well because, like underwear, they are worn everyday and hence, are essential. Thankfully, I caught myself and didn't even enter Winners. Besides, I was too busy anyways...

Trial #2. I dreamt (this is where I questioned my sanity) that my mom and I were in an antique store and I found these amazing leather boots. They were brown with cutouts (sounds crazy but they looked good in my dream), they were my size and only $13. I had to decide whether or not these boots were worth breaking the shopping ban for. I woke up before I made my crucial decision...

Trial #3. This trial was the worst. I went with my dad to Talize as our tradition requires. I was full of self control and stayed far away from any ladies' sections. We perused housewares* and checked the men section for a jacket for my dad. There an amazing plaid and fleece vest practically falls off the rack into my hands. Seriously, I'm good at thrifting but thrifting is naturally good to me too...I'm not even looking and I find stuff.... Because the vest is my hands, I try it on and it fits great. Crap. It would have been a fantastic layering piece, warm and chic... but no, even though it's only $6, I made a promise to my blog readers and as much as it hurt, I put Perfect, Cheap and Chic Vest back. Yes, I have since told my dad that Talize visits are off the agenda until further notice. No use looking at the menu when you can't order...

*where I found the adorable elephants in the above picture(the shopping ban is for clothing and accessories). I think they are name or menu card holders. I can't wait to use them at my next National Geographic dinner party (that was a joke but I'm actually starting to think that could be a cool idea). For now though, the elephants hold personal and positive affirmations :)

16 comments :

Linda said...

Way to go! I bought 2 shirts the other day but I was with Paul and he told me to get them so its okay. Tell you what you can buy me an amazing birthday present...cough Dec 12 cough.

GFS said...

YOu can do it!! Dec. 1 is not that far away... I will shop for you...live vicariously through me!

Amy said...

You are so strong. Seriously. I work in a mall, i could never do the shopping ban thing.

Anonymous said...

hang in there!!!

Julia said...

You're normal. I mean, at least compared to me. I buy something small almost every day. AND: I pretty have an eBay store so I can legitimately fill it with clothing, and hey, if it doesn't sell, I keep it. A month without shopping would be torture to me, unless I'm in a place where I can't, like, oh say the Sudan or something. I know this is shallow. I'm sorry for it!

xx
Julia

PS You're a STRONG woman for holding out. :)

Nadine said...

Those affirmation elephants are insanely awesome! Yes, I AM proud, you are doing well. I'm sure I would have bought the 46 vest myself . .

Nadine said...

I mean $6. You know.

liz said...

Just think: delayed gratification. You can go crazy during holiday sales!

Secondhand Stella said...

Wow, you are doing better at your shopping ban than me! I have cheated a few times :(

Those elephants are so cute... love them!

mro said...

I would have totally broken the ban for a $6 vest. You are a stronger lady than myself!

Trials one and two were hysterical....both thought processes and/or dreams I could envision myself going through.

By the way, the elephants are fantastic and I also think a national geographic dinner party could be an excellently themed event!

Anonymous said...

SV: Off course I share! Come to norway and we'll make a deal!

Danielle said...

You are to be commended!!!! You can do it and are such an inspiration to me!! :)

Unknown said...

"I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's word is one hundred percent." - Dr. Suess Horton Hears a Who

I think it was an omen that you found the elephants and at Talize, no less.You are to be commended on exercising such will power and restraint !!!!Hang in there - only 18 more days to go!!!

K said...

So proud! I couldn't have put it back. I would have asked my parental unit to buy it for me since I was on a bad haha cheating? sure, but I would have my perfect vest! Oops, I'm sure thats not helping the temptation... Keep it up! you're doing great! The dreams (nightmares?) will pass.

Love the idea of using the elephants to hold positive affirmations! I may steal the idea (although I don't have elephants...) and the national geographic party idea too. Not sure how it's going to look yet...but it will be amazing!

Christen said...

I am so impressed that you were able to "be good" for so long. I have no will power when it comes to shopping. None.

Anonymous said...

Good job! You can totally keep it up! I did a month long shopping ban a while ago, and though it was awful at times, it was great for my pocketbook and self control! I think I need to do another one with the holidays coming up!